Monday, December 17, 2012

And then Friday happened...

Sometimes when I look at him I'm overcome with emotions and marvel that I had a part in creating something so precious, beautiful, and perfect to me. I love him so much more than I ever thought possible ♥


I am sure that by now your Facebook timelines, Twitter feeds, and home pages have been inundated with coverage of the Sandy Hook Elementary Shooting on Friday. I, like many others have been deeply saddened by this tragedy. I had a very hard time getting my head around it. 

I know I don't typically get too serious here on the blog but, I have to be honest with you all and say that this shooting has really affected me. I have found myself tearing up at various times throughout the day since it happened

As a mother myself, I just can't even begin to understand or comprehend what it would be like to not wake up to that face above. He is my life. Before I had Ethan I would have been saddened by this news but nowhere near as emotional about it as I am. Ethan is my reason for everything I do. I live for him, and my love for him knows no limits. I hugged him Saturday morning and started crying because I felt so sad that there are 20 moms and dads who don't get to hug their little ones. I find it so unfair that I still get to hug my little one, still get to hear him say “I love you mommy”. That he still has his innocence...he doesn’t yet know about violence or bad guys, shootings or guns. I tear up that I am still here, because the adults that died were also somebodies mother, daughter, sister, aunty, and friend. Life is too short we really need to cherish every moment not just with our children but with all our loved ones. I'm praying for all those affected by this tragedy, the killer’s family included.

But I am also not focusing on the killer; I am going to focus instead on the 20 beautiful and innocent lives of the children and the 6 courageous adults who gave their lives trying to protect our children. Because that is who they were…our children.

In Memoriam:

- Charlotte Bacon
- Daniel Barden
- Rachel Davino
- Olivia Engel
- Josephine Gay
- Ana M. Marquez-Greene
- Dylan Hockley
- Dawn Hochsprung
- Madeleine F. Hsu
- Catherine V. Hubbard
- Chase Kowalski
- Jesse Lewis
- James Mattioli
- Grace McDonnell
- Anne Marie Murphy
- Emilie Parker
- Jack Pinto
- Noah Pozner
- Caroline Previdi
- Jessica Rekos
- Avielle Richman
- Lauren Rousseau
- Mary Sherlach
- Victoria Soto
- Benjamin Wheeler
- Allison N. Wyatt


I’m sorry if this is too heavy for a Monday morning, but this blog is where I go to let my feelings out when they get too heavy to carry, I just wanted to do my little piece in inuring that the victims were memorialized. They may be gone but they will never be forgotten.
  
I’ll be hugging everyone a little tighter, saying I love you more than I already do, and savoring every single moment I have with them with a deeper appreciation than before. 


“We owe our children – the most vulnerable citizens in any society – a life free from violence and fear.”
                                                                     ― Nelson Mandela


Linking up with Still Being Molly







11 comments:

  1. i definitely agree with you...words cannot express how that must feel...i know the pain i feel is insurmountable compared to the pain these parents must be feeling. but in times like this, all you can do is pray for them and hug those around you a little tighter..it's so easy to forget how delicate and quick our lives are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still devastated by what happened :( Thinking of those families who lost loved ones just makes my heart break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. marissa, i completely understand how you feel. it got to me too girl. there needs to be some serious changes (action) and less talk.

    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was perfectly written. Marissa you have such a gorgeous family. I don't have my own children yet and yet I can't get Connecticut out of my head. I can't imagine being a mother and having those feelings magnified. You are one great momma :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marissa, I really can relate to how you feel. I couldn't wait to pick my son up from school. I even considered takin out of school for the rest of the year. But then I thought I refuse to give some coward control over my life and my children. I am still going to let him enjoy his Christmas party with his classmates and not let fear hold us back. But it still hurts and I am still and always will be a concerned parent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has had my heart heavy since Friday, I can't imagine what the families are going through. I went home and hugged and loved my son (and husband) harder. Praying that God's peace and comfort is with all the families of all the victims.

    A beautiful post!!


    Carsedra of:

    http://www.embracingtherealme.com/

    http://sweets4yourtooth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a tragedy...it's definitely hard to understand and there really are no words. AS a mother I would have definitely hugged my children a bit tighter this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your little guy is an angel. This post is beautiful, Marissa, thank you.

    ReplyDelete