Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Dinner in $15 or Less|Recipe

Does anyone remember that show Rachel Ray used to have $40/day? 
I used to LOVE watching her travel all over the country and eat 3 meals for $40 or less. That’s the inspiration behind my new recipe series, only I am going to do $15 dinners!

I am going to challenge myself to make healthy, nutritious meals for the family for $15 or less and then share those recipes with you! I will post pictures of my receipt so you can see what I've spent to make sure I am staying within the budget. I plan on doing 1 recipe per month to start out with, so as not to overwhelm myself.

My first recipe is inspired by a dinner my friend Stephanie made a few weeks ago, she posted this yummy looking picture on Instagram and I just had to have the recipe!


 Her original recipe included pesto sauce, but I had a bad experience with pesto recently so I opted for parmesan cheese instead when I made it.

My total was $12.62

Ingredients

Grated Parmesan
8oz bag Italian mix shredded cheese
1 can Great Northern Beans
1 can Artichoke Hearts cut into quarters
Chicken Broth
5oz Container of spinach
1 Box Rigatoni pasta [or your favorite pasta]


Directions

Cook pasta as directed.
Cook spinach on stove with olive oil and a little garlic powder. Once spinach is cooked add in the artichokes and beans. Warm thoroughly.
Once pasta is cooked and drained mix all cooked ingredients together in large pot or bowl.
Add about ½ cup chicken broth and 4oz of Italian cheese mix.
Stir
Serve on plates and top with parmesan cheese.


Enjoy!

A very healthy and meatless meal that takes 30 minutes or less to cook and also cost under $15 yet feeds about 3-4 people. That's a win-win! 

I plan on using the change left over from the $15 for my rainy day shoe/purse fund ;)
Shhhh...don't tell the hubs! 







9 comments:

  1. Yum, that looks really delicious! And I love your idea to use the rest for your shoe/purse fund :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks AMAZING! My husband and kids wouldn't eat it because they're all picky or too young to know what good food is, haha! But I would definitely try this and most likely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely adding this to my Clean Eating menu. I'll opt for whole grain or brown rice pasta and a vegan pesto sauce and let you know how it turns out! Thanks for the recipe...Looks yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious, and what a great idea for a series. Can't wait to see all of the recipes!

    Kendra
    Closet Confections - A Fashion & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so good!! I definitely should try this out.

    xo,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH YEAH! I'm doing this! $15 dinners!!! Yes Yes Yes! Don't you stop this series Mrs. Marissa. I need these recipes in my life. Looks so good!!!


    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am all about budget dinners, but homemade as well. You can definitely eat well for less. Pasta is always a good alternative. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy!!! That's an awesome dinner and so cheap!

    ReplyDelete