Monday, July 21, 2014

Recipe|Dinner in $15 or Less -Nachos

I’m back with another edition of Dinner in $15 or Less! 

For those of you that are new to the blog, you can read my original post here, but just to give you a little recap:

Does anyone remember that show Rachel Ray used to have $40/day? 
I used to LOVE watching her travel all over the country and eat 3 meals for $40 or less. That’s the inspiration behind my new recipe series, only I am going to do $15 dinners!

This month’s Dinner in $15 is the perfect quick Friday night meal for sharing around the table – nachos!



So put away those pizza coupons and save the tip for yourself! Make this simple and delicious meal instead!

I must apologize, I don’t have the receipt to show you but I do have the prices. I’ll make sure to save the receipt next time.

Nachos Ingredients and prices

Tortilla Chips - $2
[Healthier Alterniative – Flaxseed tortilla chips from Trader Joe’s – one of my personal faves]
Sour Cream – Generic store brand $2
1 Can of Rotel Medium spice - $.94
1 Small can of black olives - $1
Mexican blend shredded cheese - $2.49
Taco blend shredded cheese - $2.49
Ground turkey - $4.99
[You can also use ground beef or ground chicken]
1 Can of black beans - $2
1 packet of taco seasoning - $1.25
Extras: Tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, avocado – I add these in sometimes, but did not use them this particular time.

Grand total: $19.16 YIKES! :(

I went over budget this meal by $4.16. I will say part of the reason was I bought my food from Target and not my usual grocery store where I could use my store savings card and also get a little more choice and variety in terms of food brands.

Directions

Heat oven to 375 degrees F
In a large skillet cook the ground beef with salt, pepper, and any additional seasonings you like to use. Cook stirring until meat is no longer pink; drain all fat.
Add in can of Rotel, black beans, and taco seasoning.
Let simmer
Place tortilla chips in oven safe baking dish
Cover tortilla chips with one layer of shredded cheese and add ground turkey mixture on top.
Add more shredded cheese and olives
Place in oven until cheese is evenly melted.
Top with sour cream and serve warm!


Enjoy! 


Linking up with Molly and Carly

7 comments:

  1. Oh that looks yummy, love the healthier alternatives too! http://www.robincharmagne.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALWAYS love some good nachos!


    http://heyprettything.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love nachos, they are a favorite snack of mine. And I think you can deduct the sour cream, since you only used a little and it's typically an item you would already have on hand.

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's my series! I'm totally making this!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete